Monday, June 27, 2011

Back and Better: A Full Manuscript Review

So I realize it has been a while since my last substantial blog post (my bad), but I have excuses. First off, I went camping. Second off, extended family visited. Third off, I got my full manuscript back. And it wasn’t pretty. But it wasn’t ugly, either. In fact, it wasn’t much of anything, which was the problem. I guess I should have expected a form rejection since that’s what most writers get back, but I had foolishly harbored hopes that a few helpful suggestions might accompany the bad news. No such luck. Not so much as a half sentence of advice. What’s a writer to do?

Naturally, I got discouraged…as in, I didn’t even want to look at the written word for a whole two weeks. The Self-appointed Inspector of Words took a long hiatus as the Self-appointed Inspector of Grey’s Anatomy, chocolate, and whipped cream. I especially appreciated the episode where a discouraged writer was admitted for surgery because he ate his novel that nobody wanted to read. Hah! Tempting…

Instead of eating my novel, I eventually chose the healthier and cheaper route of discarding the unwanted manuscript under my bed for dust collection. This worked well until my brother caught wind of my decision and forwarded me an article about self-publishing kindle ebooks through Amazon. To make a long story short, here it is!

5 comments:

  1. "a long hiatus as the Self-appointed Inspector of Grey’s Anatomy, chocolate, and whipped cream"
    Sounds delicious and slightly addicting. Kind of like a good read. I look forward to more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer. Nothing sucks like being rejected. And it's the worse when they don't offer feedback...which happens a lot. Hang in there. Good luck with whatever route you choose to pursue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJune 28, 2011

    I'll have to go check it out on my Kindle when I get home tonight! I have NO clue what is involved in putting one's work through Amazon, but I'm sure it was a daunting task. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJune 30, 2011

    I'm guessing Terah is a character you modeled after yourself, right? Started it last night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, they say write what you know, so it seemed like a good place to start for a first novel. That's nice of you to give it a try. My mom is the only other person who has read it, eh he.

    ReplyDelete